Saturday, May 2, 2009

Auto supremacy on display downtown, right now!

I'm heading to Fontana this morning, and since I have the time, I'm taking public transport. Because the schedules didn't quite line up, I rode my bike to the downtown terminal and, much to my delight, I found a good part of downtown streets closed to traffic. I enjoyed the full use of the street for a bit, but then I noticed WHY the streets were closed- a car show. That's right, they closed the streets so they could park cars on them. Oh, and did I mention that the RTA is forced to detour every bus into the terminal via 14th and brockton? Yeah...

When was the last time you saw a bike show closing downtown streets, or a bus detour in place because of an alternative transportation expo? Just another example of the car-centric culture we've cultivated.

No comments: