Saturday, July 31, 2010

A letter to my Congressman

Moving away from transport politics for a moment, but I think it's important.

Yesterday, the House of Representatives failed to pass a bill that would open up the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund to the volunteers who rushed to the scene in the days afterwards, and have been suffering health problems ever since. Among those who voted against the bill was our Congressman, Ken Calvert (R, CA-44). Posted below is my letter to Congressman Calvert on the subject in its entirety. I urge you all to do the same.

Congressman Calvert-

As always, I understand that you and I disagree on a great many things. However, I am continually astounded at just how deep this disagreement runs. I wrote you in 2008 about your deplorable vote against the State Children's Health Insurance Program- providing aid to sick children ought not be a partisan issue. Yesterday, the 30th of July, you cast another one of these shocking votes- you voted against the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund.

How dare you, sir. You are willing to sacrifice compensation for the heroes of September 11th, those brave Americans who rushed from across the nation to risk their lives in service to their fellow man, on the altar of base partisanship. It is so important to you and your Republican colleagues that Congressional Democrats not "win" on any legislation that you would vote down compensation for the volunteers who sifted through the rubble of our greatest national tragedy in recent memory.

I will devote all of my energies to ensuring you fail in your re-election bid this fall, and I hope the name "Calvert" becomes synonymous with treason and corruption for decades to come.

No comments: